Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |

Culinary Experimentation, [Lexi/Kari]
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 7 2013, 2:04 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Player: Briar

Member No.: 264

Lexi didn't cook, she'd never learned how. Now, that didn't mean that she was completely helpless or anything; she could make up boxed macaroni and cheese, fry a burger, all that kind of thing. But she didn't cook in the sense that people approach it with artistry, didn't cook for pleasure or to impress people or try out recipes just for the fun of it.

But it was three days before Fat Tuesday, and she'd been hit by a memory a week or two earlier, of Van talking longingly about his Mama's pizza sfogliata con salsiccia e pancetta. How she'd made it for Carnevale, even though their family didn't usually engage in the other rituals leading up to Lent. She'd looked it up on the internet--once she got close enough to guess at a spelling--and it looked like a fairly simple recipe. Only a handful of ingredients, and there wasn't much actual spicing going on. The recipe relied heavily on the spices of the sausage and pancetta, which struck Lexi as just fine, since that seemed to mean that it didn't rely on her to have that fine-tuned palate that would know when to add a little bit of thyme or oregano or marjoram or whatever. Actually, was marjoram an herb? Or was it a girl's name? She couldn't remember, which was all the more reason not to be fucking around with a spice jar.

So she'd looked around on the internet a bit, read four or five recipes to get a sense of them. She'd talked to Niecey, the cook at 439, to get a few tips on making pizza dough, and ridden the bus three quarters of the way across town and back to visit the Italian butcher at Pikes Place that she knew Van approved of to get soppressata and capicola for the meat. And, really, a good thing she had since it was only when she was at the market that she figured out that she'd totally forgotten to plan anything else to eat but the pastry. A nice older Italian woman had been only too happy to take the baffled little medegone under her wing and had instructed Lexi in how to cook up some nice garlicky broccoli rabe and dress some sliced tomatoes with some ricotta salata and olive oil and black pepper. She'd also conceded that as Lexi probably wasn't up to baking a real dessert, the tira misu cakes at a particular bakery stall weren't bad. Taking that for th ringing endorsement that it was, Lexi had spent pretty much the last of her splurge 'welcome to civilian life' money on a full-sized cake that was meant to serve 12 and would probably do about right for her, Van and Kari over two days.

She managed to get it all home after Van had left for work and immediately started working on the pizza dough. And a good thing she started early, the first pass was an utter disaster because she forgot to warm the water and the yeast just sorta flopped around and then gave up entirely. She dumped the mess and started on Round 2, which came together much better. While it rested, Lexi went out on the porch to curl up with a cigarette and a copy of Animal Farm that she'd been assigned at school, ignoring the flour still dusted across her midsection.

Which is where she was when Kari came walking up. She put her book down and smiled at the rat. "He's not home. He called a while ago and said he'd need to stay till sundown to help deal with some sort of minor crisis. Not too bad, from what he said, but bad enough that Miri needed all hands on deck when she went out to do whatever. He at least claims he'll be home as soon as the vamps wake for the night, though." She shrugged, awkward and apologetic.

Lexi pretty much always felt awkward and apologetic around Kari. She couldn't help but think that if it was her boyfriend who'd takin in some random teenager with a past, moved her into his house, and started going all big-brother-protective of said teenager, she'd have been pretty fucking pissed. Add to that that Kari was completely gorgeous in all the ways that Lexi wished she could be and couldn't, plus the nagging feeling that even if Kari didn't actively resent her she'd really rather Lexi hadn't happened to exist, and the animator only ever got more tongue-tied, tomboyish, and all-elbows when Van's girlfriend was around.

Like now, dressed in the kind of no-style comfort that came out of being surrounded by soldiers during her entire adolescence, barefoot and with the ugly necklace she always wore hanging around her neck dangling charms and dog tags. Bare bony feet, her hair up in a messy bun that wasn't stylihsly messy or attractively messy but just messy from sweat and impatience. Was it any wonder that she felt utterly ridiculous next to Kari, who always looked adorable no matter what she was doing?

She tried, though. Give her that much, anyway. "He should be home in like two hours, if you want to hang? I'm trying my hand at making dinner, we'll see how that goes."

user posted image
| PM || AIM || Y!M || MSN |
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 7 2013, 3:19 AM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

Player: RixenRae

Member No.: 78

Kari was trying but how was she supposed to do something she had never done before. She didn't know a life without Thorn. She didn't rely on him like people might think but it was something like being a twin and suddenly the twin was gone.... nothing. no warning, no good bye just gone. Poof. She had been in mourning since new years and couldn't quite pull herself out of it. She had given Skin Deep to Leonardo and put all of Thorn's things in storage because she still wasn't ready to look at his things and remember that he wasn't coming back for them.

It was the little things that hurt the most. Hearing a joke, a song on the radio or just remembering their shared past. Wanting to call him to arrange dinner, to apologise for missing another thing, to hear about Quinn... everything that had become a part of her life and now was just a memory. The only thing she had kept of Thorn's was his surname, and she carried it heavily. And his number in her phone but she knew she would never delete or forget that code of numbers.

But she thought that her mood was getting people down. Not that anyone was rude to her or anything but it was just a feeling she had. people seemed to think a few weeks was long enough to eat up her pain. Usually she would agree with them. She also thought that maybe Van was sick of seeing her in her rats uniform so she had tried a little today. She had nothing to do with her time but be within the compound. The sight of her helping out, training with Drey and just running around the border was common these days.

She smiled when she saw Alexis, but it dropped when she explained that Van wasn't home. 'Miri always needs all hands on deck, especially my boyfriends hands." kari was starting to think the fae woman had a thing for her rat but no real proof except they spent to much time together for Miri not to fall in love with him. not exactly something she could tell anyone because Van was just doing his job. With or without her theories, Van would need to work so she kept them to herself. She sighed, not wanting to go home but not having a lot in common in Alexis.

"Sure, I can wait." kari decided suddenly and stepped into the room she knew so well. If she had any problem with alexis and Van she never showed it. maybe because she knew what it was like to have a relationship with someone similar to the relationship between alexis and Van. plus she saw Alexis as a kid. An experienced and deadly kid but still a child and not a threat. miri on the other hand was adult and very very sexual. She Kari could see as a threat.

"I'm not a great chef." She said, making it sound like an apologise. 'I know where to find the best pizza in town." she offered, dumping her bag on the floor by the couch because she felt like she had the right. She didn't live here but she had been dating Van for close to a year. she sniffed the air and nodded. "it smells good. what are you making?" she asked.

I HAVE FEELINGS TOO. I AM STILL HUMAN. ALL I WANT IS TO BE LOVED, FOR MYSELF AND FOR MY TALENT
+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED
UNLESS COMPOUND DUTIES COUNT

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY
RIP: THORN AMOS DECEMBER 2012

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 7 2013, 1:27 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Lexi shrugged, "I'm not either. But he used to talk about this rolled-up meat pizza thing that his Mom used to make right before Lent every year. So I thought I'd try it." She tried to make it sound casual, not like she'd spent half a week planning it and most of her available cash buying the ingredients. "Called 'pizza sfogliata con salsiccia e pancetta', and I know I butchered that pronunciation, but it just means 'rolled up pizza with sausage and ham'."

She hit her cigarette, watching Kari out of the corners of her eyes. "Dough's rising right now, it's supposed to cook and then rest for, like, an hour before you serve it."

"How are you doing?" Desperately in search of a wavelength here, Lexi felt like she really needed to find some kind of comfortable relationship with Kari. They didn't have to be besties, but they needed to be able to have a conversation without Van there to run interference.

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 2:48 AM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

She smiled. "Pretty close though." she commented at the words. considering she didn't seem to be speaking Italian every day but it was recognisable and really that was all you could ask for. "I'm sure Van appreciates all the effort." and obviously that was what all of this was for. Seemed she might have picked the best or worst day to randomly show up at Van's door. Butting into the meal Lexi was making could be a big mistake, but it seemed that if it was a problem Lexi wasn't going to tell her.

she hugged herself though at the girls question, not thinking she deserved to know but kari was fragile enough to just have someone ask her and really think like she cared about the answer. "Just taking it a day at a time you know?" She said with a solid. "Feeling a little restless and all floaty right now which is odd. I have always known what I was doing and where I am going. Instead I am just... living." Which didn't sound like fun if her voice was any indication.

"How are you finding Seattle?" she asked. She knew the bare basics of Lexi, not digging for more information because she knew that some things had to stay hidden. She didn't share everything about herself with anyone, not even Van. "Seems you have worked out the shopping district.' she nodded towards the kitchen

I HAVE FEELINGS TOO. I AM STILL HUMAN. ALL I WANT IS TO BE LOVED, FOR MYSELF AND FOR MY TALENT
+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 3:22 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

She grinned suddenly, that wicked and confident expression that was so much more her than the anxious nerviness she usually felt around Kari. "You and I both know he won't. He'll devour it all, compliment it because his Momma raised him right, and then three days from now it'll occur to him that it was probably a special thing and he'll bring home either a teddy bear or a new video game because I love him but he really is a 60s sitcom dad at heart." A laugh, a shrug. "But whatever. Long as it tastes good, I'm happy. If it doesn't, will you be the one who's honest about it and not chew and force a smile? I think that even I can't screw it up, but because of that Sitcom Italian thing he won't tell me."

Lexi sobered though, on hearing what Kari said next. And she was back to being a bit tentative as she said, "I've never gone through what you are right now. Losing someone who was so much a part of me. But I've lost people I loved a lot, lost them to stupid, pointless fights where they had no reason to die except bad luck and bad timing, going down to somebody else's war. And that floaty numb feeling, like everything's less real than it should be, I remember that. Too clearly. And I remember that there's moments when that breaks, when you feel normal. Laugh, eat, talk, have a good time even. And then all of a sudden you remember that they're dead, and you feel like the worst person in the universe for enjoying yourself when they're gone. And I just--I want to tell you that it doesn't get better. Not in the fairy-tale, time-heals-all-wounds way. The grieving, it doesn't really stop. But it does get better in a harder, less convenient way. You learn to cope. To find out what things you can fill the holes they left with, and which of the holes are just going to stay holes forever."

She was talking too much, there was an urgent push as she tried to wrench it around to what was, to her, the important point. "What I'm meaning is, grieving is a real thing, and it's important, and there's no reason you should ever feel like you have to rush through it or hide it or be ashamed of it. But those minutes and hours when you feel okay, those are real too. It's not you forgetting him or betraying him. It's you finding yourself and the way life's going to be now. It's--it's okay, it's good, and not something to beat yourself up about." She still felt like she'd fumbled around too much, and there was that apologetic look in her eyes, knowing she hadn't explained it right.

"Anyway. Uh, Seattle's fine. I like the Compound, and the Clan. The weather kind of sucks, but at least we're not waiding through snow."

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 4:26 PM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

Kari frowned at Lexi, confused how those words could come out of a little girls mouth. Maybe she had been underestimating her a little. She knew she was more then just your average kid but what she said was maybe the most honest thing she had been told about dealing with death. Suddenly she was more then a machine. It was weird, but at the same time acceptable. "Thanks. I'm sorry you know that." She smiled and even though the two didn't hug something unspeakable but permanent had passed between them.

"And yes the weather does suck." Kari was happy to move on in their conversation away from Thorn. While her words had been comforting she didn't know Thorn and Kari wasn't ready to tell their complicated history again. "But you kinda stop noticing it after a few months. I came here from Mexico so I kinda know what I am talking about. The locals don't get it though. it is even worse when you are talk to someone who was born here." She commented.

"so how does this work? I mean being here on the compound and stuff. Do you get the same rat privileges as the kin kids or are they just kinda making up the rules as they go?"

+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 6:01 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"A bit of that last thing," she admitted, "but mostly I'm just kin, same as any other kid or adoptee. A couple of restrictions, I'm not supposed to talk about certain things, and I can't leave the city without somebody with me, some stuff like that. Especially now that Mac's blowing town, Garrett wants me being discreet." She rolled her eyes. "Because I was definitely planning on blabbing all about my psychofreak life to the kids at school and random strangers on the street. But he's the C.O., so..." she shrugged. Lexi still did, and maybe always would, think of Garrett as her commanding officer rather than her King. 'King' was a weird, alien concept to Lexi, something that belonged in novels and historical movies. But a C.O. was here, important, present, and something meaningful in her worldview.

She hit her smoke, which she'd been ignoring out of a weird courtesy, and set her book aside instead of resting it on her knee. "The weirdest thing, honestly, is school. I was dying to go to a regular high school, you know? Because I've been homeschooled," sort of, "since I was eleven. But then I do all the tests and stuff and it turned out that I'd passed the senior year curriculum already. But now Garrett's making me to and do the senior year anyway, just because...I don't even know why. He thinks it'll be good for me. I don't mind exactly, but it seems a little pointless."

And then she got to her point that she'd been building up to and asked, "You, uh, didn't do the normal suburbs-and-high-school thing, right? Do you wish you had?" She didn't know all of Kari's story, but she knew that she'd come up 'rough', as Van put it, and so maybe she'd understand the way Lexi felt about it.

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 7:31 PM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

She took a moment to think about it but finally Kari shook her head no. "Regular school wouldn't have worked for Thorn. He would have been kicked out before he got close to graduating. even if we had been raised right in a real family he just had this way about him that even his best behaviours was always a little cheeky." She wiped her eye gently so not to smudge her make up. She had to be one of the very few girl rats who knew how to use eye liner and thinking about Thorn got her teary eyed but she didn't actually shed tears.

And she couldn't imagine a world without Thorn in it. Her going to suburbia and school without him was unheard of. They were a team, and maybe they would still be one if she hadn't gotten so caught up with the compound. "Just how much have you been told about me?" she asked curiously, not wanting to repeat any of it but also wondering if Van was trying to keep her from the kind of things Kari was once a part of.

+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 11:22 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Lexi shrugged. "That you 'grew up rough', with some implication that you may have been on the street or close to it, and with gang ties. All pretty vague, but in the 'if you want to know, ask her yourself' way, not in the 'you're too young to sully your tender ears' way." She grinned at Kari, who was young enough that Lexi figured she had to remember the frustration of being dismissed for her age.

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 4:19 PM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

Kari rolled her eyes with a practised hair flip because her hair never seemed to sit where she wanted it too. "growing up rough seems like a nice pg version of what it was like. But they say the same thing about you." kari told Lexi. "Grew up rough. What does that even mean?" She mused to herself before getting more comfortable. "I know its all perspective and my worst days are some ones good days but still, its bigger then just growing up on the wrong side of the tracks." But Kari didn't dwell on it. let people think what they want to think. She couldn't stop them.

"My madre was a whore and addict. My papa I never knew and no one could tell me exactly who he was. School was never an option, not even a thought. Girls were a waste in the gang. Who needs another fuck toy when all they do is get knocked up. Lesser citizens in every sense and the best I could hope for was to be some guys old lady. But I wanted more. from a really young age I saw what it meant to be a woman here and Thorn gave me the opportunity to be more."

"Anyway..." kari brushed it off because she was getting to deep into it and that information wasn't needed for the point she was trying to make. "People always ask that when they find out you grew up differently if you could would you change it. I am sure people ask you all the time. And I always think to myself would you ask a regular suburbia girl if she would go and live in a world of sex, drugs and pain if she could. Of course not. Why would you want that for them?"

"There is nothing wrong with growing up rough. It just gives you a whole different set of skills that might one day be more useful then going through the education system. if I had been a regular suburbs kinda girl then I would probably be working retail in some chain store because i get a discount on shoes. And I would probably be engaged to some guy who doesn't challenges me or the way I think and I would not have as much pain in my heart, sure but pain reminds us that we loved." Kari shrugged, feeling like she was talking to much.

"for how bad it looks on paper I liked my life. Not all of it was great but no life is, and even though people might think growing up rough means I am damaged but it is just another path. So the short answer is no, because at the end of the day Lexi your life is what you make it. I went to business collage and completed my degree without ever going into high school or even stepping into any kind of formal education before." She didn't mention though they paid for that through drugs and gun trafficking.

+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 2:07 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Lexi nodded but, "My answer's different, probably because I had the nice suburban life for a while. I remember what it's like to have parents who love me, a home that never gets shot at or invaded or picketed. I remember feeling safe, even if it was a long time ago."

"That said, it's not like I could go back to it. Even if my parents turn out to be alive," she shrugged, "what am I going to do, go running back to them all, "Okay, so my entire life is a Dean Koontz novel, everything pure or innocent about me is gone. I hope you kept my room the same!'?" The sheer absurdity of the idea made her laugh. "That's gone. And maybe I miss it, but I'm also smart enough to know that it's not coming back, and that I can build something good here if I don't go moping after what's impossible."

She wrenched back toward the original point. "Van says I should just enjoy the social part of it, the 'high school experience', and I guess that makes sense. But I'm finding the 'high school experience' kinda pointless. I mean, I get that they really really care that Stuart McCarran is single now and who's going to make a move. And hey, Stu's cute. But compared to hiding behind an overturned file cabinet in an office building in the middle of the night, counting your bullets against the number of vampires left who are coming to kill you and your team? Kinda hard to get all that worked up." She shook her head. "And I can't decide if I'm just being dumb to have expected it to be anything else, or if I'm missing something important about it."

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 3:25 AM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

"what? go to high school for socialisation?" She gave a fake laugh and exaggerated roll of her eyes. "why bother when us rats are just so damn sociable?" She sighed. "You know, there might be something in this whole meeting other people your age and seeing how the other half lives. Don't become your job Lexi. Don't be a robot that knows how to kill and can't just find other fun. Flirt with this Stu kid. if nothing else it will fun to see the other girls turn against you. Another big thing you might have missed while you were busy counting bullets and vampires. Girls tend to be bitchy but only having guy friends makes you a slut."

"I would blame your expectations on movies but I think that was never a huge need for you." It wasn't a huge deal for her either, so she assumed that Lexi didn't really make a point of seeing movies when they came out. kari was getting better at renting the dvds though. "So I am just going to put it down to growing up to fast?" Kari gave Lexi an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I am not good at this kind of thing." Which was one of the reasons parenthood scared her. "I'm guessing Van didn't give you the guidance you needed?"

+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 1:32 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Lexi shrugged. "Wasn't really looking for parental guidance. Just somebody else's perspective. Van gets kinda...I don't know how to say it, but it's like wishful thinking. He thinks that it'll be good just because I deserve it to be good or something. Not really how it works."

There was a pinging from inside the house, Lexi glanced over her shoulder. "Gotta punch down the dough. You want to come in and hang? There's no coffee on yet, but I can put it together, or there are beers."

user posted image
Kari Amos
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 2:05 PM
|QUOTE |

won't say i'm in love
Group Icon

"Well I think you deserve happiness in your life Lexi, but I'm not sure how you are going to find that." Kari shrugged, hoping she had helped with the perspective thing but had a feeling she didn't. Kari was not a motivational speaker. maybe that was why she worked so well here with the other rats. Only Garret needed to be able to make the good speeches that moved their perspectives. All Kari had to do was be the muscle she had always been trained to be.

Kari followed Lexi into the Kitchen to at least stand around with her while she cooked. "I'll take a beer." she commented figuring that had to be easier then making coffee. "So, other then the Stu guy drama how is school? Anyone ask you to join the cheerleaders or band squad?" she asked, teasing just a little but also trying to be interested. she was important to Van and so important to Kari.

+++++++++++
KARI
+++++++++++

FASHION
TRYING TO LOOK NORMAL

SHIFTER
DOMINANT RAT

LOYAL RODERE

TWENTY SEVEN

UNEMPLOYED

DATING VAN
SINCE APRIL 9TH, 2012

LOST & EMPTY

user posted image
| PM |
Lexi Hoechlin
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 5:40 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

She handed Kari a beer and washed her hands so that she could punch down the dough for its second rise and then start chopping down the ham and sausage to render it in olive oil. She wasn't good at it the way she'd been if she had ever learned how to really cook, but with a skill and precision nonetheless that came from knowing how to use a knife and excellent manual dexterity.

As she worked, she said, "Stu's hot, but he's human. I have so little to say to him that it's not even funny. The kids at school don't know that I'm a freak, I'm in no hurry to tell them, but it's not like I can talk about the stuff they care about. How the hell am I supposed to care about the football team? Like, actually care. It's ridiculous."

She laughed, though, because it really was funny in a way and because Lexi didn't really have the personality type to mope. "No invites to join the cheerleading squad, no. But I think a guy in my math class has a crush on me. Which would be awesome if he weren't four inches shorter than me and kind of an idiot. One or the other I might overcome, both is too much."

user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

| TOPIC OPTIONS |Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |