Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |

knock knock, joss | garret | rats
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 4:50 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

Player: RixenRae

Member No.: 301

she had a plan, or so she thought. Fuelled on a sugar based breakfast and a self indulgent belief that she was owed something because of who her father was Joscelyn rode over to the rat compound. She had never been there before. Her Daddy and daughter time was always in the city itself. A movie most of the time or lunch in a cafe. Raegan rarely brought work home with him for them and that included his time at the rat compound.

But it was easy enough to find. she knew enough about the local rat clan that they weren't just going to let her in so she parked out front, pulling her helmet off quickly so she looked less threatening although they would probably know better then to judge a book by its cover. maybe they would think she was more dangerous. Now that would work in her favour. "Yo, hey." she called out, still a few steps from the gate. "I'm Joss Harper. I need to see your king." she introduced herself

And then she was told to wait. Which she was kinda pouty about because she kinda felt like the king should want to see her and the guards at the gate would recognise her name and come welcoming her like she belonged here and they were just waiting for her to come to her senses and come seek them out. Apparently it wasn't quite like that and for the first time ever Joscelyn wondered if the rats knew Raegen even had a kid.

MY FATHER NEVER LIED TO ME. I KNEW A LOT OF THINGS AT A YOUNG AGE BECAUSE I WAS INTRIGUED

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 6:10 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Player: Briar

Member No.: 26

With Emily getting healthier all the time, Wil had been able to start picking up shifts at the Compound, which frankly was a huge relief. Not just because it meant that he was able to repay some of the massive support his Clan had given him while Em was so sick, and not just because the thing that made it so that he could leave the house for longer than two hours at a time was that Em had finally finished methadone treatments and hadn't seized in almost two months. But it also meant that Wil could, you know, leave the house. Socialize with adults besides Drew. Have conversations. There were times that the rat felt like a housewife in 1973, just figuring out that she was allowed to touch a world beyond the walls of her house and her kids' lives.

So while he hadn't tried to pick up a day job--he and Drew had discussed it and Wil had been forced to concede that it would be pretty ridiculous to try--he was now taking guard shifts on the Compound and picking up several extra training sessions a week, getting himself back in shape to take on some more heavy work.

Dressed today in jeans and a t-shirt, complemented by truly ridiculous sunglasses and goofy hipster hat, he came up from the offices when the guards at the gate called up a Code Gray (which meant that there was something confusing but non-dangerous that needed to get passed up the line).

He got the quick version on his way up, and so when he walked up to Joscelyn he was smiling easily. "Joss? I'm Wil. What are you needing to see the King about?"

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL || AIM || Y!M || MSN |
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 6:55 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

"My dad." the words came out effortless and without hesitation. She really did think they would want her to be one of them. The feeling that people didn't know that she existed was a bit of a side blow but she had recovered from that by the time Wil got to see her. "He was a rat here. Raegan Harper?" god she hoped people knew the name. but if the stories were true then almost all the rats would know the story of when Garret had thrown a knife at Raegan in the middle of the meeting which caught by putting his hand in the way.

Yeah she knew her dad was a little bit rough around the edges, but he was still her Dad. "Did he ever mention he had a daughter?" She wasn't the only bastard child he had fathered. she had a half brother as well but she knew she was the only one who saw Raegan on a regular basis. Timothy lived over in California and probably didn't even know that Raegan was dead. "This might go smoother if someone actually knew I existed." she tried to smile but the cracks were showing.

MY FATHER NEVER LIED TO ME. I KNEW A LOT OF THINGS AT A YOUNG AGE BECAUSE I WAS INTRIGUED

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 7:12 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"Huh." Just that, and Wil looked Joss over from head to toe, trying to find some resemblance. He didn't see one, particularly, but that didn't mean it wasn't there.

After that moment of consideration, he smiled and gestured her toward the door into the Compound proper. "Well," he said cheerfully, "I personally didn't know that he had any kids, but we weren't exactly close. Why don't you come in, we'll figure things out from there? It'll be a while before Garrett's available anyway, you don't want to just stand around that long."

He led her over toward the offices, but instead of taking her into any of them guided her into a break room and offered her a seat. "You want a coffee, soda? What brings you by today. Wanting to ask about your Dad?"

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 8:19 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

She smiled when Wil let her in and managed not to stick her tongue out at the guard who had been giving her the stink eye since she got here. It was better to be lead into a room then being locked out of the place. There was nothing special about the room, the local MacDonald had one just like it where she worked but it looked special because maybe Raegan stood in that corner then he drunk his coffee, although it was more likely that the walls had been witness to more obscene ways to pass the time then coffee.

She took a seat and nodded to the soda. it might have been ten am but the buzz of her breakfast sugar was starting to wear out. "Whatever soda you have is fine." She smiled up at him and took the can when he offered it. Opening it and taking a sip before she answered his question. "A lot of Raegan's life here is Seattle I didn't know all to much about but I knew he was a rat and that near the end he was pulled into spending more time on the compound. Which personally I think was probably good for him."

She took another sip and set the can aside on the nearby table. "I wanna join." She knew that wasn't going to be easy but she might as well put it out there now, test the waters with this guy before she had to look at Garret and say the same thing.

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 8:34 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Wil nodded sagely, just as though the rosy picture this girl seemed to have of her father were exactly his opinion too. He hadn't known Raegan much, but his impression of the man had been a miserable bastard who'd never done anything that was for the benefit of somebody else over himself in his life. However, Wil was also somebody who had particular experience with loving a person who was difficult to deal with, and so he didn't try to pass judgment.

Instead, he poured himself a cup of coffee, lit a smoke, and informed her that, "That's not up to me. Happens a mile above my pay grade. But Clan doesn't take minors, and being a legacy only cuts you slack if you're raised Clan. That said, Clan does train recruits, if you impress the King and recruiters enough." He shrugged. "Calling ahead woulda been a good start, but it's not fatal or anything."

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 14 2013, 9:05 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

to her credit she gave Wil a sheepish smile at the mention of suddenly showing up at the front gate. 'Yeah I know, that was kinda uncool of me. I actually wasn't planning on coming here today. In truth Wil I have been trying to get up the courage to come here since Raegan was murdered, but um..." she lowered her eyes and gave an awkward shrug. At least she didn't cry. Joscelyn still wasn't so sure about how she felt about loosing a man she kinda didn't know.

"I recon I can keep up with the other rat kids my age.' she said bravely not really understanding the kind of training the other rat kin her age had been going through since they were youngsters. But she was confidence and that had to count for something. "Raegan taught me how to shoot." she offered up her credentials. "How much will I have to impress them?" she asked Wil. This was not going the way she imagined at all.

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

[/QUOTE]
| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 12:13 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"Being able to shoot's a good start." See, this was why Wil was kinda glad he kept getting sidetracked on the path toward ranking. He didn't want to tell this nice kid that being able to shoot was a drop in the bucket and that if she wanted in she'd better have been in hard physical training for at least a year. No more than he wanted to tell her that her Daddy had been an intentionally-isolated bastard who the Clan hadn't trusted and no half-decent woman would go near because he sweated chlamydia. But so long as he stayed a grunt? He didn't have to! Let somebody else break her heart, if it needed to be done. He could just give her sodas and keep her entertained until Garrett finished up his real meetings for the morning.

But he did need to be able to give her something, so he said, "If you want to impress them, be willing to work. Hard. Harder than is fair. Harder than school, or school plus a job, or school plus a job plus sports plus extracurriculars plus doing all the housework. Harder than any of that, and you have to do it without complaining or giving up or skipping a day because you're just so tired. It's brutal, which is another reason we don't recruit in kids. It aint fair to them." That Wil had been fourteen when he was infected didn't factor in, nothing about his infection had been normal or right.

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 1:48 AM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

"I can work hard." she told Wil after taking a good drink from her can of soda. Although part of her promise to her mother was that her grades wouldn't slip. It might be hard to be everything and do whatever it took and still get straight A's. Especially since she didn't do that now. She wasn't an exceptionally smart kid. She did alright with a low B average carrying her through. College wasn't banging down her door though.

She looked down at the can in her hands and drummed it lightly with her finger tips. "So let's say for some reason your king has an aneurysm and decides to take pity on me and gives me a shot." he dream of being welcomed in with open arms was getting less and less likely the more the talked to this Wil guy. Not that she thought it would be easily but she didn't think it would seem impossible.

"Would I still live at home and go to my school and keep my job? Or do I have to live here? Would it be better for me to offer to be here, or would Garret think that’s to forward? Should I call him Sir?" she asked, looking for anything that would help. She felt like she needed this still even if it wasn't going to happen how she imagined it would

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 1:14 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

With the standard caveat that, "I don't speak for Garrett, and I don't totally know the requirements. But if you're living with your Mom now, he'll probably want you to keep living with her unless it's a bad situation in some way. And I don't know about after school stuff or whatever, it hasn't come up that I'm aware of. I mean, I'm sure it's come up? Just nowhere that I was there to hear. My daughter's still in a couple of after school activities, but she's twelve, so she's not exactly in the immediate pre-infection training."

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 3:02 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

Joscelyn nodded and felt a little wave of relief that she wouldn't be forced to make that kind of commitment right now. She was sure compound living would eventually come up but she couldn't just leave her mum like that with no real explanation except she felt like she needed this. Plus she was only sixteen and as much as she thought she could live in this big bad world alone she wasn't completely dense. She did know better then to try.

"home is fine. No complaints except there is never enough junk food laying around and I still have a bedtime." She smiled and set her can of soda aside. "So what to you do around here?" she asked him just to be polite really since it seemed they were going to be stuck here together for a bit. "You look to young to have a twelve year old kid." not just a compliment but also true. "Is it a shifter thing? I got told in my preternatural studies that shifters do age but just slower then a regular human." See she knew some things. Text book things but still things.

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 5:39 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"It's both," he said with a grin, flicking his ash into a stained Budweiser ashtray. "I got infected very young. Too young, it was accidental." And because he was already getting a sense of Joss's personality, "I was lucky I survived it, most Clans--including this one--get rid of accidental infections one way or another. If they're lucky, like I was, they get given a chance to prove themselves before they're shipped off or--" a shrug, "whatever." He wasn't stupid, he wasn't going to outright tell a girl he knew nothing certain about that the Clan carried out executions. But he did need to make sure she didn't get the bright idea to orchestrate an 'oopsie' infection. It's not like she would be the first to ever think about it.

But getting back to his story, "But my daughters are adopted. One's 12, one's four months. I'm 25." He knew he looked eighteen, maybe twenty on a good day, but that's where that growth hormone thing came in. "And shifters don't actually age slower. It's just that the higher healing rate makes us look younger. You still feel it, believe me."

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 15 2013, 10:19 PM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

Joscelyn frowned as she got the moral to his story. "look I am not looking for a free ride or nothing alright." She was a little bit offended that he would think she would just go out and get herself infected. "if I was looking to be sneaky then I would have done it before I came here and tried to do it right." She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at the rat, and he might have cared if he didn't have a twelve year old at home who gave him good practice at dealing with this kind of thing.

"if Garret says he doesn't want to take me on then I will walk away and you guys will probably never see me again. I'm not some weirdo who thinks being infected is the way of the future. I want want to be closer to my dad and this is one of the ways to do that." Because she was pretty sure she was to dumb to be in the police for. of the minimal options she felt she had this was the lesser of evils and sounded more fun, less structured. more like Raegan then the text book training in the police force.

She reached for her soda can. "I just don't want ya to get the wrong idea about me Wil." she said gently, almost an apology but not really coming out and apologising her for outburst. She felt he deserved the glare.

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
Wil Croft
 Posted: Feb 16 2013, 12:53 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

It was cute, how Joss hissed and spit like that, but Wil had a twelve year old daughter who went around the house armed with silver. He just wasn't cowed. "The idea was bound to at least occur." He smiled at her and hit his smoke, shrugging easily. "But Garrett's eighty-seven kinds of a hardass, despite the new movie star face and baby son and all. He may have a sweet caramel center, but people like you and me will never see it." True, and not. Wil knew that some of that had been involved in him getting to keep Em.

However, it was definitely time for a subject change. "So you and your Dad were tight? How are you doing with it all?" Grief was a bitch, it never quite hit the way you might think it would.

user posted image
Joscelyn Harper
 Posted: Feb 16 2013, 3:10 AM
|QUOTE |

Group Icon

She finished her soda with one last gulp and looked around for a bin, finally spotting one in the corner by the sink. She stood where she was, aimed and biting her bottom lip gently, one eye closed she threw the can. it hit the corned but bounced in and she smiled before taking the seat once again. "We were closer before he got infected." she admitted to Wil, not sure why she was sharing it with him. maybe because she didn't have anyone else to talk to about Raegan.

"I was ten when he got infected while on the job. Before that I saw him at least twice a month, depending on work you know." she nodded at herself and wiped her nose on the back of her hand before going on. "He liked taking me to the park when I was younger and as I got older we would go bowling or to the roller rink. Raegan was a good skater and we would stay for hours just going around and around in circles. We always did things I found interesting. And then he went to St Louis."

She hated that place and all its monsters on principal. But decided that sharing that might be a little harsh to reveal when she was hoping to stick around longer then this one meeting. "We moved here after he did, but things were never quite the same. He was drinking a lot more then and once I was old enough to understand it the women and gambling. Cigar smoke clings to everything." she said as if it was the worst thing in the world and an unknown fact. "He saw me once a month still but it was mostly just a lunch at a cafe or a movie." She sniffed but there were no tears yet.

"I'm still confused as to how he died. The police said that he was killed in the line of duty but I'm still confused. He just seemed so strong and ready, like he could do anything. it seems stupid that a couple of wolves could take him out." And now there was no one to ask because the pack was down to a handful of people. who ever killed him was probably dead themselves. "But those wolves did a lot of things that people didn't think they could do." she shrugged it off and rested her chin in her hand.

+++++++++++
JOSS
+++++++++++

FASHION
LOOKING COMMON

HUMAN
BUT NEEDING MORE

STUDENT
GARFIELD HIGH

DAUGHTER
RIP RAEGAN HARPER

SIXTEEN

SINGLE

| PM |
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

| TOPIC OPTIONS |Pages: (2) 1 2  | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |