Pages: (7) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |

There's Always Room for Work, Josh/Miri
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 8:12 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Player: Shan

Member No.: 285

Katie refused to spend the night at home, crying, or so she'd told him in the monotonous voice of her tablet, which she'd chucked at his head when he'd laughed. It was not his fault that indignity sounded hilarious in computer-voice. Honestly, he'd just been happy that she was expressing an emotion outside of sorrow and hilarity, the two that she whipsawed between on a regular basis.

So he'd agreed to come out with her to the ridiculous Valentine's thing he'd heard the rats were planning, because apparently she thought she was a rat and he was some sort of Kin. He didn't entirely understand what was going on, but he was trying as best he could to just go with it, which was saying something about how much he loved his sister. Josh was not a just go with it kind of guy, ever.

He was, in fact, or so Katie said, a 'tight ass'. She'd used those exact words when he'd arrived to pick her up in jeans and a button down white shirt. She'd actually made him go back to his hotel and change into something 'less lame'. Deciding he'd had enough of her being bossy, he'd pulled on a fitting tee and white hat, trying to make a statement that said something along the lines of 'this is stupid'. His sister, of course, had thought it awesome.

Then, also not a surprise, as soon as they'd walked into the pub Katie had seen about a dozen people she wanted to talk to, which left him alone, stranded at the bar. It didn't bother him, it would actually give him some time to multitask, since Katie wasn't the only one who carried a tablet everywhere she went.

He ordered a beer and set it very carefully out of spilling range, then decided to check his email, which happened to have the latest hoodie designs. Opening that email first, he didn't fall off his chair but it was a near thing. "No," he said to no one in particular, forgetting he was in the middle of a party of sorts, surrounded by many people who could hear exactly what he was muttering, "No, no, no. Fuck, it's all wrong."

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 8 2013, 8:27 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Player: Briar

Member No.: 65

"You tell 'em." Miri leaned forward against Josh's back, peering over his shoulder at the tablet. She'd never actually met him, but why let that stop her? "That's definitely hideous," she agreed, reaching around him to poke a fingertip over (not onto, which argued a certain backwards courtesy) the pocket design. "Do they not notice that if you put your hands in right there with the sleeve twisted a little it'll look like a vagina? Or was that the goal?"

She didn't get up off of him, but did twist a little so that more of her could be seen. Wearing jeans and most of a vest, smelling like clean sweet and salt water, glowing with ink under the twinkly heart-shaped lights, she grinned at Josh from no real distance away and reached around him to set her empty glass on the bar. "You gonna rip them a new one?"

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL || AIM || Y!M || MSN |
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 6:25 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Josh had no idea what to make of the girl wound around him. It wasn't that he wasn't used to it; he'd lost count a long time ago of how many girls did just this sort of thing while trying to get at his brother. It was just that he was an unknown, mostly, around here and Eddie was nowhere to be seen, so he hadn't much expected a beautiful, half naked woman to show up and talk to him.

"Yes, yes I am," he said easily, catching the glint of all the ink and looking at it with interest. "That's good work."

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 6:41 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

Miri stretched out an arm, examining the most-of-a-sleeve that stretched down it. She kept toying with putting together a design that would fill all the empty spaces, but nothing really struck her as just-so. "Thanks. I keep waiting to get sick of this set and it doesn't happen." She was still leaned up against him, though shifted a little more to the side now to make it easier to talk. She ran a fingertip down his arm. "I like yours too. Lot of them done by the same artist?" There was a look to it, nothing she could put her finger on but it made her guess it.

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 7:35 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

He nodded. "Anything that's not lettering," he said of his sleeves, both of which were mostly hidden under the sleeves of shirt, but he'd pushed them up when he'd sat down.

"What happens if you do get sick of it?" he asked curiously.

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 7:47 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"I make them go away." She brought her hand up, fingers splayed wide to display the mermaid that curled around the back of it and to her wrist. A flex of fingers and the design faded away, leaving perfect smooth skin behind. "I'm a cheaty cheater, you see." The explanation was all frank and helpful, she wiggled her fingers and the mermaid redrew itself on her hand, just where it had been before though this time the hair was dark instead of blonde. Just about the color of Josh's hair, actually.

She finally stopped snuggling up to him and slid onto the bar stool next to him. "So how come you're working instead of doing pink shots and laughing at the TVs? Or more to the point, if you want to be working, why are you here with the people drinking pink shots and laughing at TVs instead of home or at Starbucks or wherever people who do real work go?"

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 8:42 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"That is cheating," he said, sounding a bit disgruntled about that. Getting ink was taking a plunge, making a statement about the kind of person you were and the life you wanted to live, all in permanent ink. It wasn't the same if you could make it come and go at will

Also, she could make ink come and go at will. What the fuck was that?

He shifted on his stool, getting a better look at her since he could now without breaking his neck. He pointed past her, to where his sister was laughing, hard, at something Ash had just said, Garrett looking at the both of them like they were crazy, and probably right about that. "That's why," he told her. "She didn't want to come alone. The translation of which was she thought I should get out and be social. My sister is never alone."

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 9 2013, 8:59 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

She followed his gesture, "That's Katie, right? Does that make you the rock star brother or the smart self-sacrificing brother? Though I guess since you're working in the middle of a bar full of hot chicks, you're the second one."

Miri shook her head sadly. "I'm Miri. And you should be paying more attention to the hot chicks and less to the vagina shirt. Those people will still be stupid tomorrow, but none of these girls will be half as drunk."

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 8:10 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"Self-sacrificing?" he asked with a laugh, "Boy do you have it all wrong." He still had his life, always had. Not once had he had to run away from fans or paparazzi, at least not unless he was being mistaken for Eddie, something he had never understood. They maybe looked somewhat alike, but he thought they could be told apart pretty easily. Still, that didn't happen so often that it wasn't funny anymore.

He arched a brow at her. "I'm pretty sure I can pick women up when they're sober," he said, sounding slightly insulted at the implication. "Hell, I wasn't even trying and you were playing piggy back."

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 11:11 AM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"Not self-sacrificing, then. But sensible. And just a little bit cranky, I see." She beamed at him, clearly not at all put off by his dignity. "What's your name, Smart-But-Crabby? I ought to know it, but I was kind of out of circulation for a few years there. And what are you drinking? Express a preference or you get one of the pink ones."

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 12:03 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"Josh," he said, holding his hand out to her as though they were meeting across a conference table or something.

"Black and tan," he then informed her of his nearly gone beer. Or beers, as the case actually was. "It's nice to meet you, Miri."

He and Eddie had researched every last bit about Seattle before Katie had moved her, and while Miri was newer than their research, Eddie kept on top of that kind of thing. More because he had to than because he was worried about Katie. But he'd made sure Josh knew who every power player in Seattle was, and as Josh never forgot names or faces, he recognized Miri right away.

She sort of stood out.

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 12:15 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

The next time the bartender passed by, Miri requested a black and tan and two pink things. She got immediate service, either because of the status or because of the boobs. Probably the former, sadly.

After she'd shaken Josh's hand, she went right back to her usual terrierlike focus and asked, "So seriously, a party like this and you decide to get some work done? Is the vagina shirt really that important? Or are you just feeling awkward for whatever reason?" The curiosity was genuine, even with that mischievous shine in her eyes.

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 12:27 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"I don't know anyone here," he said with a shrug, "And my sister," he turned to look at where Katie was sitting, noting she was glaring at him for who knew what, "Wouldn't take no for an answer. Why not get work done?"

It wasn't wholly true. He'd been around the Compound enough now that he knew several rats, actually. This sort of thing just...wasn't his thing. It was too ridiculous, to an uncomfortable level.

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
Miri Hughes
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 1:13 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

"You know me now. C'mon, pack up the laptop and we'll go crash the Say Anything drinking game?" She tugged at his sleeve. "I'll protect you from anybody wanting to actually make conversation or offer sex, since you're clearly not into those things."

user posted image
Josh Gaines
 Posted: Feb 10 2013, 1:22 PM
|QUOTE |

Advanced Member
Group Icon

He folded the cover/stand of the tablet closed, figuring that was why she'd mistaken it for laptop, and tucked it under his arm.

"I like sex just fine. Conversation," a shrug, "Depends on what it is." But he picked up his drink like he'd been told and followed her over to where a small group of people was watching, picking up an instruction card.

Very familiar with the movie thanks to Katie's Cameron Crowe obsession when they'd been growing up, he said, "Straight up human. If I drink to all of this, I'll be dead before the dude ODs in the bathroom at the party." Seriously, one of the instructions was to drink anytime anyone sad 'Lloyd Dobbler'. That alone would kill him.

user posted image
| PM || EMAIL |
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

| TOPIC OPTIONS |Pages: (7) 1 2 3 ... Last » | REPLY || NEW TOPIC || NEW POLL |